We scoure the riddle archives every week to select a challenging problem or puzzle to feature.
A riddle problem is a question or statement intentionally phrased so as to require ingenuity in ascertaining its answer or meaning, typically presented as a game. Below are a list of the past problem of the week riddles in descending chronological order.
Twelve flags stand equidistant along the track at the stadium. The runners start at the first flag. A runner reaches the eighth flag 8 seconds after he starts. If he runs at an even speed, how many seconds does he need altogether to reach the twelfth flag?
Not 12 seconds. There are 7 segments from the first flag tot the eighth, and 11 from the first to the twelfth. He runs each segment in 8/7 seconds; therefore, 11 segments take 88/7= 12 4/7 seconds.
There is a certain club which is for men only. There are 600 men who belong to this club and 5% of these men wear one earring. Of the other 95% membership, half wear two earrings and the other half wear none. How many earrings are being worn in this club?
Six hundred. We know that 5%, or 30 of the men are wearing one earring. Of the other 95%, or 570, we know that half are wearing two earrings and the other half none. This is the same as if they all wore one.
To see more past Problem of the Week's refer to the Riddles Newsletter annals.
The Riddles Mission
The Riddles.com mission is to be the be the world's most comprehensive riddle website on the internet for riddles, puzzles, rebus caps and quizzes. Our riddle library contains interesting riddles and answers to test visitors and evoke deep thought and community discussion. Riddlers will benefit from the creativity of our members who participate in growth of our online riddles and puzzles resource. We encourage you to become a member of Riddles.