Funny dark and night riddles from the original Riddles website. These are the best dark riddles, jokes, and brain teasers for coaches and athletes. Entertain your classmates or share with your team.
1. Riddle: A man rode out of town on Sunday, he stayed a whole night at a hotel and rode back to town the next day on Sunday. How is this possible?
Answer: His Horse was called Sunday!
2. Riddle: It can't be seen, can't be felt, can't be heard, and can't be smelt. It lies behind stars and under hills, And empty holes it fills. It comes first and follows after, Ends life, and kills laughter. What is it?
Answer: The dark.
3. Riddle: I always follow you around, everywhere you go at night. I look very bright to people, but I can make the sun dark. I can be in many different forms and shapes. What am I?
Answer: The moon!
4. Riddle: I run in and out of town all day and night. What am I?
Answer: A road.
5. Riddle: I was carried into a dark room, and set on fire. I wept, and then my head was cut off. What am I?
Answer: A Candle.
6. Riddle: What did Sir Lancelot wear to bed?
Answer: A knight gown!
7. Riddle: I am the beginning of sorrow and the end of sickness. You cannot express happiness without me, yet I am in the midst of crosses. I am always in risk, yet never in danger. You may find me in the sun, but I am never out of darkness. What am I?
Answer: The letter S.
8. Riddle: A little pool with two layers of wall around it. One white and soft and the other dark and hard, amidst a light brown grassy lawn with an outline of green grass. What am I?
Answer: A Coconut.
9. Riddle: How do you know that a vampire loves baseball?
Answer: Because he turns into a bat every night.
10. Riddle: What falls down but never breaks?
11. Riddle: What boy wizard magically grew a beard each night?
Answer: Hairy Potter.
12. Riddle: Why couldn't Goldilocks sleep?
Answer: Because of nightbears.
13. Riddle: When I point up it's bright, but when I point down it's dark. What am I?
Answer: A Light Switch.
14. Riddle: I'm like a doll, But I'm not for playing; I stand up straight, but if windy I may be laying; I'm well-known and famous for having no brain; I work outside both day and night in sunshine or in rain. What am I?
Answer: A Scarecrow.
15. Riddle: Lovely and round, I shine with pale light, grown in the darkness, A lady's delight. What am I?
Answer: A Pearl.
16. Riddle: They are dark and always on the run. Without the sun, there would be none. What are they?
17. Riddle: Why does a dragon sleep all day?
Answer: So it can hunt knights!
18. Riddle: What falls but doesn't break, and what breaks but doesn't fall?
Answer: Night and Day.
19. Riddle: I follow you by day, by night I blend right in but no one sees me except when I'm in the light. What am I?
Answer: A shadow.
20. Riddle: Every night, I'm told what to do. And every morning, I do what you tell me to do. But you still get mad at me and hit me. What am I?
Answer: An alarm clock.
21. Riddle: I weaken all men for hours each day. I show you strange visions while you are away. I take you by night, by day take you back, None suffer to have me, but do from my lack. What am I?
22. Riddle: My first four letters describe all living things. My last five letters are another word for knight. My job is to save you, and I'm a fan of water. Who am I?
Answer: I’m a lifeguard
23. Riddle: A man rides into town on Friday. He stays two nights. How does he leave on Tuesday?
Answer: His horse was called Friday.
24. Riddle: Who always stalks you during the day but becomes too tired to stalk you at night?
Answer: Your own shadow!
25. Riddle: People have stepped on me, but not many. I never stay full for long. I have a dark side. What am I?
Answer: The moon.
26. Riddle: What do ghosts like to do on a Saturday night?
27. Riddle: I can fly but have no wings. I can cry but I have no eyes. Wherever I go, darkness follows me. What am I?
28. Riddle: The marathon man timed himself and found out that if he wore a bright white outfit he ran 20 miles in 80 minutes, but when he wore a dark outfit, he ran 20 miles in one hour and twenty minutes. What does this mean for his next race?
Answer: Absolutely nothing, as 80 minutes equals an hour and twenty minutes.
29. Riddle: I sleep by day, I fly by night. I have no feathers to aid my flight. What am I?
Answer: I am a Bat.
30. Riddle: What's light during the day but heavy during the night?
31. Riddle: You can have me almost every night, sometimes I could be bad sometimes I can be nice or good, Whether you were a child or an adult I'll be there. What am I?
Answer: Dreams between (Sweet dreams, Nightmare).
32. Riddle: I have 16 legs then, I sleep for about a fortnight and a merge with 6 legs. What am I?
Answer: A Butterfly
33. Riddle: I am not a person nor an animal. I was born from the death of something large and hot. I am capable of consuming anything and everything. I am very dark and exist in a place where there is no gravity. What am I?
Answer: A black hole.
34. Riddle: At night they come without being fetched, And by day they are lost without being stolen. What are they?
Answer: The stars.
35. Riddle: Duels of good and evil, A fighter of good am I, Revealed beside watched words, King of the black night sky. What am I?
Answer: The dark.
36. Riddle: When I am metal or wood, I bring you home. When I am flesh and blood, in the darkness I roam. What am I?
Answer: A bat.
37. Riddle: A nightmare for some. For others, a savior I come. My hand's cold and bleak. It's the warm hearts they seek. What am I?
38. Riddle: I grow in the dark and shine in the light; The paler I am, the more I am liked; My maker never gets paid, but never goes on strike. What am I?
Answer: A pearl.
39. Riddle: I have an eye in the middle of me, but as you see, I cannot see. I am dark and not far away. You don't see me every day. I am not night and I am not bright. I can have twists and water and scares. What am I?
Answer: A hurricane.
40. Riddle: I'm far away from you, but I still shine bright. I sleep by day, I wake up at night. I stay by the moon but never get close to it. What am I?
Answer: A star.
41. Riddle: I can't t hurt you, but I can leave you with scars. Nobody wants me, but everyone has me. But you are the only one who can see me. What am I?
42. Riddle: You see me at night, by day you tell everyone about me. I come back looking different than before. I sometimes leave you in the darkness. What am I?
Answer: A dream.
43. Riddle: With three eyes and a black as night, I frequently knock down ten men with a single strike! What am I?
Answer: A Bowling ball.
44. Riddle: I'm grown from darkness but shine with a pale light. Very round I am, and always a lady's delight. What am I?
Answer: A Pearl.
45. Riddle: I take you by night, by day take you back. None suffer to have me but do from my lack. What am I?
46. Riddle: Dead on the field lie ten soldiers in white, felled by three eyes, black as night. What happened?
Answer: A strike was thrown in 10-pin bowling.
47. Riddle: What loses its head in the morning, and gets it back at night?
Answer: A Pillow.
48. Riddle: The king of the jungle, rare as gold, black as night, in light not there and night not seen. Goes in water, goes on trees, goes in caves, goes on the ground. Claws of knives, teeth of swords, the roar of death but silent as a mouse. What is it?
Answer: A black panther (black jaguar)
49. Riddle: I am nothing, I am everything. I am perfect dark, I am the brightest light. I am hungry, I am full. I am nowhere, I am everywhere. I am unseen, I am watched by millions. What am I?
Answer: The universe.
50. Riddle: I'm blue at day and black at night; I do contain some creatures born and died. What am I?
51. Riddle: I'm the first thing you see in the morning and the last thing you see at night, I'm always there but you choose to ignore me, cross your eyes and you will see me. What am I?
Answer: Your nose.
52. Riddle: Dark with white markings, And smooth like a rock. Where learning occurs, I help convey thought. What am I?
53. Riddle: I welcome the day with a show of light, I stealthily came here in the night. I bathe the earthy stuff at dawn, But by noon, alas! I'm gone. What am I?
Answer: The morning dew!
54. Riddle: What brightens your day when it's dark, although it's usually in the shade?
Answer: A lamp.
55. Riddle: I'm as plain to see as black & white. I prefer to roam about at night. Just don't attack or startle me. Or odiferous emissions may result you see. I'm an omnivore yes it's true. But what's my name tell me do?
Answer: I am a skunk!
56. Riddle: You use me every day but let me rest at night. I have an identical twin beside me all the time. For some reason, you always cover me up. I am not alive but I have a soul. What am I?
Answer: Your Feet.
57. Riddle: I watch you sleep, I haunt you by day. You stare at me and saw nothing, but darkness. What am I?
58. Riddle: Sometimes I am black, sometimes I am white sometimes you can see me at night. I have friends that are with me that are much smaller. Some of you have walked on me but not all. What am I?
Answer: The Moon.
59. Riddle: I usually wear a yellow coat. I usually have a dark head. I make marks wherever I go. What am I?
Answer: A pencil.
60. Riddle: My first is in ocean but never in sea, my second's in wasp but never in bee. My third is in glider and also in flight, my whole is a creature that comes out at night. What am I?
Answer: An Owl.
61. Riddle: I come out at night, I am neither human nor animal, I rarely eat I only drink, I can only be found at night, I will glow in the sunlight. What am I?
Answer: A vampire.
62. Riddle: Imagine you are in a dark room. How do you get out?
Answer: Stop imagining.
63. Riddle: Allan survived 12 days without sleep. How is this possible?
Answer: He sleeps during the night.
64. Riddle: The man had not slept in days, yet he was well-rested. How could this be?
Answer: He only sleeps at night (he had not slept in DAYS)
65. Riddle: I am life, yet not real. When we first meet, things are dark. When we leave each other, you are in the light. I meet many people with and after you. What am I?
Answer: A movie.
66. Riddle: I have billions of eyes, yet I live in darkness. I have millions of ears, yet only four lobes. I have no muscle, yet I rule two hemispheres. What am I?
Answer: The human brain.
67. Riddle: In a tunnel of darkness lies a beast of iron. It can only attack when pulled back. What is it?
Answer: A bullet.
68. Riddle: The ghost of the mountain never to be seen, leaps like a raging fire to catch his prey. As pale as the moon but fast as the wind. Cold as ice, but a flash of light in the night. What is it?
Answer: A snow leopard.
69. Riddle: My body has a dozen heads or more, My tails don't wag when you walk in the door. Count the ways you can hold me tight, Or use me for a special night! What Am I?
Answer: A piggy bank.
70. Riddle: From dawn to dusk I soar through the sky, A thunderous voice, but silent I fly. Through the darkest depths, I will not die, Yet I can not be seen by the naked eye. What am I?
Answer: Radio waves.
71. Riddle: A group of men is suddenly awakened by a loud, piercing, continuous sound. They all scramble out of their beds, get dressed, grab a pole, and disappear into a hole. What in the world are these men doing?
Answer: The men are firemen who were on night-shift duty at their firehouse. When they heard the fire alarm, they got dressed, slid down the fire pole, and got in the fire truck.
72. Riddle: What falls but never breaks? What breaks but never falls?
Answer: Night and Day!
73. Riddle: A light aloft alone in shadow, I light the way for paths you follow. What am I?
Answer: "Lampost" - Reasoning: Often, a street lampost will be a source of light above paths that are often traveled at night, hence it is the reference to this lonely light guiding you on paths through the darkness.
74. Riddle: I scream out in the dark, I bring light to you, my flame whispers in the darkness. What am I?
Answer: A candle.
75. Riddle: Nick timed himself and found out that if he wore a bright white outfit he ran 20 miles in 80 minutes, but when he wore a dark outfit, he ran 20 miles in one hour and twenty minutes. What does this mean for his next race?
Answer: Nothing, as 80 minutes equals an hour and twenty minutes.
76. Riddle: In the light, I may reflect. In the dark, I'm cold and wet. What am I?
77. Riddle: From house to house he goes, A messenger small and slight. And whether it rains or snows, He sleeps outside at night. What am I?
Answer: A Street or Road.
78. Riddle: Where once there were many, now there are none. Time has done ticking; the hours are done. For now, is an end, but also beginning, For darkest is now, but soon shall be thinning. What is it?
Answer: "Midnight" - Reasoning: The riddle is all about following something through to the end - a day. Once the day reaches its end, at midnight, when all the hours of the day are gone, right down to the last second, the clock resets. Thus, it marks both the end of a day and the beginning of a new one.
79. Riddle: Stealthy as a shadow in the dead of night, Cunning but affectionate if given a bite. Never owned but often loved. In my sport considered cruel, But that's because you never know me at all. What am I?
Answer: A cat.
80. Riddle: Which is the creature that has one voice, but has four feet in the morning, two feet in the afternoon, and three feet at night?
Answer: Man crawls on all fours as a baby, walks on two as an adult, and needs a walking cane when old.
81. Riddle: A glow in the dark, A place without life, Where a small spark, Means the greatest strife. Where am I?
82. Riddle: One knight, a pregnant lady, and a doctor walk into a hospital, the next morning three people walk out, who was the third person?
Answer: The knight.
83. Riddle: Spelled forwards is a type of rodent that you might find in drains, spelled backward is something that you cannot touch but see it every day at night. What is this word?
Answer: Rats, star.
84. Riddle: My first is a part of the day, My last a conductor of light, My whole to take the measure of time, Is useful by day and by night. What am I?
Answer: An Hour-glass.
85. Riddle: There lived a man in a house and every time he went to bed he turned on the light. One night, the man forgot to turn on the light. The next day he read the paper and killed himself. Why?
Answer: The man lived in a lighthouse. He forgot to turn on the light and a ship crashed. The next morning he read in the paper that the ship crashed and killed himself because he felt guilty.
86. Riddle: Which would see most clearly in total darkness? A bat, a tiger, or an owl.
Answer: None. In total darkness, it is impossible to see anything.
87. Riddle: The more it is made, the more it is destroyed. The case can't be cracked, yet you won't be able to avoid it. It can be used for play or just a simple stay. Small, medium, or large, used in both light and in dark. What is it?
Answer: A Bed.
88. Riddle: I'm in Kentucky, with 2 bowls of chili. I stay there for 3 nights. I take a train to Georgia and back peddle to Kansas. Where am I?
Answer: Do not know the answer, help! Driving me crazy, and it's a short trip.
89. Riddle: My legs are knives. I am a knight. I can reclaim what I lose in a fight. What am I?
Answer: A crab.
90. Riddle: What happens only in the middle of each month, in all of the seasons, except summer, and happens only in the night, never in the day?
Answer: The letter 'N.'
91. Riddle: Here's a riddle for those who fiddle. Our clan is safe within the middle. So those for dark go to little. As you'll see a dragon's crittle. The Irish can help a diddle. But can you see the misinformed biddle?
Answer: This riddle is unanswered.
92. Riddle: I am, in truth, a yellow fork From tables in the sky By inadvertent fingers dropped The awful cutlery. Of mansions never quite disclosed And never quite concealed The apparatus of the dark To ignorance revealed. What am I?
Answer: I am lightning.
93. Riddle: Empty as space, Scary as a ghost, I appear every night What am I?
94. Riddle: A color is seen on a stoplight, an item you use to eliminate the darkness. What comic book character is it?
Answer: Green Lantern.
95. Riddle: How long would it take a fly, wearing a pair of wellingtons, walk through a tin of treacle?
Answer: A fortnight, it’s too weak.
96. Riddle: I could sell tickets day and night, I am always awake I never get a break. What am I?
Answer: I don’t know.
97. Riddle: Slam slam slam all day long slam slam slam some fast, some slow something solid. flat and sturdy its friend lights up the night and is sensitive to the eye slam slam slam A through Z 1,2,3 black as night. What am I?
Answer: A Computer keyboard.
98. Riddle: What can only move by jumping?
Answer: The Knight chess piece.
99. Riddle: I am round or oval? It can be light or dark. You can cut me into pieces. What am I?
Answer: A Potato.
100. Riddle: No legs or two legs, four legs or more, the color of green, on Terra it stays. Teeming with chemicals of darkness and light, needing only a wind, a breath to lift the kite. What is it?
101. Riddle: Where do zombies go for a night out?
Answer: Club Dead.
102. Riddle: A room with no windows or doors, walks in the night, grows in a day, and is found where there is death and decay. What is it?
103. Riddle: What is it that is full all day and empty at night?
104. Riddle: What animal has more lives than a cat?
Answer: A frog, he croaks every night!
105. Riddle: I have four legs but no tail. Usually, I am heard only at night. What am I?
Answer: A Frog.
106. Riddle: Where do dead outlaws go on a Saturday night?
Answer: To ghost towns.
107. Riddle: What famous nurse wore her pajamas all day long?
Answer: Florence Nightingown.
108. Riddle: What is dressed when night falls and undressed when day breaks?
109. Riddle: What is significant about 3661 seconds past midnight on 1st January 2001?
Answer: The time and date will be 01:01:01 on 01/01/01.
110. Riddle: You can get fooled by me and you have no clue what you are doing, you can see them day and night. What am I?
Answer: A sign.
111. Riddle: Runs over fields and woods all day Under the bed at night sits not alone, With long tongue hanging out, Awaiting for a bone. What am I?
Answer: A shoe.
112. Riddle: What is 1 animal that can see at night but be blinded at day?
Answer: A bat and 1=a.
113. Riddle: What wears an eyepatch and robs ships at night?
Answer: A vampirate.
114. Riddle: It takes the town hall clock 6 seconds to strike 4 o'clock in the afternoon. How long does it take to strike midnight?
Answer: 22 Seconds.
115. Riddle: How many times does the long hand of the clock pass the shorthand between midnight one day and midnight the following day? As both hands are together at the starting time of midnight this does not count as a pass.
116. Riddle: A person gets up 180 times every night and sleeps for at least 7 hours at a time. Where does the person live?
Answer: At the North or South Pole.
117. Riddle: Who spends the day at the window, goes to the table for meals, and hides at night?
Answer: A fly.
118. Riddle: A woman is walking down a street at night at a constant pace. As she passes the street light, she notices that her shadow becomes longer. Does the top of her shadow move faster, slower, or the same when the shadow is longer as when it is shorter?
Answer: This point maintains a constant speed, independent of the length of the shadow.
Like these riddles? Also check riddle categories, quizzes, rebus puzzles, or just search for a riddle using a keyword or phrase.